Featured Artist - Avasa Sarawan
Hello fellow readers! For this week's artist feature, we have Avasa! She is a very talented and astounding artist. Avasa loves painting, drawing, and is specialized in skeleton drawing! Let us get to know more about Avasa in the following blog!
1. What is your name, age, and location? Any fun facts about yourself and your hobbies?
Hi! My name is Avasa Sarawan, I am 17 years old and I live in Markham, Canada. I love to draw and paint, and I'm also very interested in embroidery!
2. How did you first get into art?
I got into art as it was always a fun pastime for me, another influence on my art starting out was watching others create art.
3. Who or what are your biggest inspirations that motivate you?
What inspires me are things that pop out and anything striking really! My friends and family are also large inspirations for me.
4. How do you plan on using your art to spread awareness or make a difference in the world?
I believe all forms of art can contribute to a larger message in one way or the other. For me, the way I contribute is by creating art for organizations that promote social justice!
5. What is your favorite piece of art that you have created so far?
My favorite piece of art is my skeleton cat drawing because I think the piece looks interesting and a bit weird.
6. What are your current or future goals with your art?
I try not to hold any specific goals but I always hope to improve and discover more nuanced styles of drawing that I will enjoy.
7. If you had the opportunity to spend a day with your favorite artist, who would it be and why?
One of the illustrators who inspire me is the late Garth Williams. He was an illustrator that did many famous book covers, such as Charlottes Web. I love to get to know how he developed his art style and what inspires him!
8. Do you have any advice or tips for people that are interested in art?
There are two pieces of advice that I think are crucial for artists. Firstly practicing and refining your art constantly is next to godliness. Secondly always take risks, it’s okay to be uncomfortable or even nervous stepping out of your comfort zone but it’s totally normal, remind yourself of your goals and that everything shall pass!! In the end, I’m sure you’ll create some amazing art!
Here are a few examples of Avasa's brilliant work: